The Devil’s Ring and Finger (a standing holed stone, similar to Mên-an-Tol in Cornwall) lies on the boundary of Norton-in-Hales, Shropshire and Mucklestone, Staffordshire. There is much debate about its origins, some presume it is a megalithic chambered tomb, the site of which is now lost . Victorian historian, Mr T. P. Marshall believed it was a Druid’s altar, within a sacred grove. The religion of the Druid’s consisted of three concepts, to worship gods, to do no evil and to act with courage. They had several gods but he believed the circular stone was an altar piece for their sun god, who represented the power of life, of good, of increase and the finger represented the serpent god, which represented evil and death . There are even theories for its later use, that the grooves on the finger were formed by the sharpening of prehistoric tools or weapons .
 Newman & Pevsner 2006, 215
 The Newport and Market Drayton Advertiser, March 26th, 1887
 Simms, WSL, Sept. 1